Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thank Goodness for the Library

I have always had a positive relationship with the library.

I have a very clear memory of being 10 or so, and being in a parent-teacher-student conference (I went to a hippie dippie alternative school and we were always in on our conferences, to present our perspectives and views. It's amazing I ever learned how to spell.) At the time, we were allowed to keep books borrowed from the class shelf that we intended to read next in the top shelf of our cubbies. My teacher was telling my parents that my cubby was always full. Piles of books that I wanted to read and was keeping away from anyone else until I had a chance. I was never very good at sharing.

In middle school, the public library was on my way home every day. I had discovered at some point how to order books, and there was usually at least one waiting for me. While it was not so convenient when I went to high school, I still kept up ordering books off and on and was a fairly frequent visitor. Some of the librarians there still remember me, when I stopped in a few times last year while living at home again they were always keen to chat.

When I was in my upper years of university, having moved out of residence, we lived next to a public library that had an excellent collection of dvds. I also learned mid way through my second year of undergrad that I could not actually study at home effectively and over the next three years, had a 'power' spot in the science library. It got me through many an exam and paper. Sometimes I would visit friends in their favourite study spots but I knew when it was crunch time, I had to write papers on 2nd floor Douglas or study in the carrels on the 4th floor.

You may be wondering at this point - oh, dear lady of the laptop - why did you not become a librarian? And I must admit that I really never considered it (but for one panicked week in April of the fourth year of undergrad and I hadn't gotten in to any grad schools yet and I had to do SOMETHING next year, but I had missed all the deadlines). I think I realized from a young age, watching the crazy people who would frequent the library at times, that I was not meant to deal with the unwashed masses and crying children. I stand by that to this day.

Moving on.

I spent somewhat less time in the library in Mtl, the public libraries being somewhat limited in their English selection but my university did have some great study rooms, particularly one on a corner with a huge table and big windows that I, sometimes joined by the recently mentioned x-ine, pounded out my thesis in.

However, I am really loving the library right now. There is a convenient branch close to the grocery store and I am again ordering materials like crazy, especially dvds. I have no cable at the moment and love getting full seasons or fairly recently released movies to watch. Just this evening I very much enjoyed 'He's Just Not That Into You'. I can pick up the weird biographies or bodice rippers I can't quite bring myself to buy. Discover new series when my cash flow is a little strapped so can't go buying everything I need.

I wandered into the kids section of the library not long ago, looking to see if they had 'Finding Nemo' (what can I say - I was in a mood!). I spotted books that I still remember well. And I thought about one day bringing my child there, and finally learn to share my books.

2 comments:

Liz said...

As if you'll share books with your kids. I think you'll steal them and read through to the end first because you won't be able to put up with how slow they are.

That was not an autobiographical statement in any way.

Princess Crumpet said...

Oi, that's my future career you're slagging off! If I can learn to deal with snotty kids, bedbugs and the homeless, you could have, too. But hugs for appreciating the value of a good public library.