Thursday, November 25, 2010

Brrrr

Winter does feel like it is finally nipping at our heels. It was pretty darn freezing going home tonight and I was really happy to curl up on my couch with the fire on.

Three days in and I am feeling really positive about my new job. Despite the longer commute, the location is not so bad (but for making it way too easy to go shopping on my way home/at lunch) and the smaller building feels kind of cozy. More importantly, the people are great and it is as close I can get back to my academic work within the public sector. I will be getting to do some work on the ground, along with higher level research stuff.

One of the other benefits of the new job is that I will have more opportunities to see my mentor, who works in that building. My mentor was assigned to me but we have hit it off from day one and I have found them a great resource. While I can go to my parents or people I work with, my mentor is someone who is a bit more impartial and can act as a sounding board for my slightly crazier ideas. I would encourage all of you, if possible, to seek out someone like that in your professional/school/work place. There is no such thing as too many people in your corner.

Anyways, thank goodness it is Thursday night and I can chill out with my terrible TV shows and relax before what is looking to be a busy Friday but it will then be a super fun weekend ahead, including getting to see the Sens beat the Leafs!

No comments: