Sunday, November 28, 2010

After spending an evening with my parent's cat who is turning into quite the bitch in her old age, this made me laugh:

So I have to admit where I came across that video. I saw it on Dooce, one of the pre-eminent mommy bloggers online.

I can picture you all scratching your heads - going, 'Um, LadyLaptop? Don't you not have any kids? And have mentioned several times how happy you are to not at the moment? So why are you reading mommy blogs?'

The answer to that is... I really don't know.

Back in the day, I was reading grad school blogs by other women, who just happened to also have kids, like the excellent Academomia. And as you do when you come across one interesting blog, you see who they are linked to... and I found such interesting voices as Julia and Amalah. I keep up with these blogs (and maybe a few more) because they have clear, funny, and thought provoking things to say. I find that Amalah's somewhat odd sense of humour is incredibly similar to my own, and I also love to cheer on her adorable 4 year old who is not letting his special needs limit his ability to be awesome (the kid is really in to Star Trek AND Star Wars at the moment, I think we were meant to be friends). Julia's pithy descriptions of her toddlers is infused with the road she took to get them, and at times I can feel my dark heart give a little tug. As well, it lets me look at pictures of adorable babies without having to, you know, take care of them. I was happy to play with my five month old cousin last night, but also quite keen to hand her over to her father when I was concerned she was about to spit up.

It is November 29th today and after tomorrow while I think I will be posting MORE than previously, it won't be every damn day any more. So if you're looking for a good read, I would recommend those above, along with my real life friends on the right hand side, if you're looking for a laugh, a cry, or just a moment to learn about someone else out there, and at the same time, about yourself.

No comments: