Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cooking for one

Despite my misgivings, as a whole, I've rather enjoyed living alone these past few month. Setting my own schedule, playing my own music, not having to be quiet because someone is sleeping... it's nice. However, the biggest downside has been cooking for one.

My dearest, darlingest Liz and I had the best food system. We would almost always cook dinner together, shop together, challenged each other to try new recipes and almost all of our experiments turned out awesome (naanwiches!). It was economical and fun.

Most importantly, we had to be accountable to each other, if we had said we were making X for dinner, there was no picking up take out or having cereal for dinner because you were not in the mood to cook. That is a lot harder to do on your own.

I try really hard and sometimes do great! I make a pretty awesome pasta with prosciutto and veggies, or spicy mac and cheese with veggies. However, I have an egg on english muffin with cheese about once a week. I plan healthy meals but at times I get home late and am distracted, or just not in the mood so make some less than healthy choices. Suggestions for easy(ish), cheap, healthy and fast meals appreciated!

The other downside of course is having a glass of wine while eating alone is skirting on the bounds of alcoholism - any suggestions for getting around that?

No comments: