Monday, November 5, 2012

On friendship

It's only November 5th and I'm already getting in just under the wire - ruh roh...

En tout cas (French is seeping into my brain!) - I just had such a pleasant evening at my very dear S's. She made soup and curry, I brought bread and  chocolate and another dear friend brought cookies. Afterwards we sat around and dished about career paths, education, dating... It was great.

Once I've made a friend intend to hang on to them. My very best friend and I have been friends for nearly 25 years and I have others in the 15 year range, more for nearly 10 years. As much as astrology is somewhat bunk - saying Virgos are loyal - yeah, that's me. Of someone is my friend I will give them the shirt off my back, the dollars in my wallet and as much time as I can possibly give. Over the years this generosity, and it's lack of reciprocity by some now former or less close friends, has hurt me. I often bend over backwards to make everyone feel included or to keep in touch with people and so am oth hurt and confused when others don't do the same. Over the years though, I like to think I've grown at least some and have been able to recognize that it is not an affront to me, but perhaps an indication that a specific person may not represent the best investment of my time. And I move on.

All that being said, I am often so grateful for my friends. They put up with and talk me through my neorotic moments, encourage me when I'm down or unsure, are great enablers/restrainers when necessary of my shopping habits. While we only joke about it at the moment, I think my circle of fellow only children will be a crucial resource in the future when we all have to deal with aging parents.

So as most of the people who actually read this blog are my actual friends I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks :).

1 comment:

Bianca said...

Story of my life! Love you short (but some day long) time xo