Friday, November 2, 2012

Accomplished - or am I?

My last post before NaBloPoMo kicked off was about my newfound hobby of running. I am pleased to announce that I did manage to keep it up and on September 23rd I ran/walked a 5K with a time of 39:03 - just squeaking under my self imposed goal of under 40 minutes. A few weeks later, to support the local charity campaign, I ran/walked another in 38:23.

I was, to be totally honest, absolutely flabbergasted I beat my time on the second race - it was a windy day, a hilly course and once we started, I was almost immediately at the back of the pack. My very dear  X-ine was waiting for me at the finish line though to cheer me on (and I had Gangnam Style pounding in my ears) and so I pulled it off.

That's generally how I roll - I pull things off. Even if I start at the back of the pack/with less money/unsure of the subject, I do OK in the race/at running a program/passing a test. And it did work for running and I am so proud of myself but even though I am good at 'pulling things off' I am also a perfectionist so I still want to do better. Especially at work, I know that people think I do great work but there's always that little voice pushing me to do better. We won't get into the psychological ramifications of it ABSOLUTELY being my Mother's voice that I hear.

So - what's next then? I'm trying to keep up the running, or will as long as the weather is still halfway decent and the goal for next year is to run a FULL 5K. There will definitely not be any 'pulling that off' so here's hoping I can develop a little discipline, and don't get too comfy on the couch, over the winter.

No comments: