Thursday, November 5, 2009

On music

It snowed today. Not a lot. It didn't stick. But, there were big fat fluffy flakes drifting down from the sky, and almost compulsively, I turned on Hawksley Workman's 'First Snow of the Year'. It's a very Canadian song, talking about first enjoyment of the sight of snow, but knowing you will soon hate it. I also went and bought a pair of snow boots (and new heels to wear to work).
Later on this evening, trying to figure out what shoes to toss to allow the new ones to come in (it's a system I'm trying. Emphasis on the trying, it's really hard), I came across a whole box of CDs that I made, from the latter half of high school onto part of first year of university, basically when I got an mp3 player and no longer had to burn playlists to take them with me. Really, I should just toss the whole box, but instead, I put it back underneath the bed to listen to when I have a chance. I know that some of the songs won't have the same pull they once did, but I'm sure I'll rediscover some absolute gems. I also just want to listen and remember what those songs meant to me at the time.
While in Florence, my father and I were wandering around one evening, looking for a bar, and we happened into one that was kind of dirty but was named after one of my aunts, and so we thought it was funny. They were playing the first Killers album in its entirety (whose name is escaping me). I still hear a few of the older Killer songs here and there, but some I hadn't heard since I was sitting in my room in my undergrad town, embroiled in biochemistry notes (likely in tears), but singing along HARD because I was also angry (about being in tears). I loved those songs, and despite that time being one of the more miserable in my life, I still do, and that now when I listen I can realize that I persevered through that, thanks in part to Brandon Flowers. I may have to go look them up on You.Tube.
(My current most favourite tracks are insanely poppy by Britney and 3OH!3, about threesomes and chasing after girls. I wonder if I listen to those in 4 years, how I'll feel about them.... besides slightly embarassed.)

1 comment:

Liz said...

One of the biggest things I miss about burning CDs (or making mix tapes) is the nostalgia of having a soundtrack for a specific period of my life.

For example, the first summer of 152 Johnson was my last burned mix CD and will forever be remembered as the summer I sang Vanessa Carelton songs and the pina colada song at the top of my lungs in an empty house to keep myself company.