Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An ode to argyle

I went for a run today, definitely not one of my best but I powered through. I came home, peeled off the sweats, showered and was very happy to pull on one of my favourite sweaters, pink with purple and green argyle. This sweater is quite warm so I'm actually okay with the nip in the air as it offers excuse to pull out some of my closet faves.
I'm very comfortable in argyle. Last count I had three argyle sweaters. I bought an argyle polo over the summer but it didn't fit right and so I returned it. While today its paired with earrings carved of moose antler, I often pair argyle with pearls.
Argyle is simply amazing. It often involves several colours, allowing for a whole rainbow of coordinating outfits. It evokes traditional styles but done the right way is also very modern. it goes with everything from heels to my shiny pink adidas sneakers. Have I mentioned my style is rather preppy?
However, my closet is not wholly preppy and actually may be seen as a tad schizophrenic. I have the preppy clothes, the sporty clothes (t-shirts from various universities, numerous yoga pants), the biologist/outdoorsy clothes (fleece, fleece and more fleece), work clothes (well, the blazers are a little preppy I guess) and either schleppy student or going out clothes (both of which often involve low cut t-shirts).
I find it interesting that as I wear the different parts of my wardrobe, I express different characteristics of myself. It's true that a good suit is akin to a suit of armour and when I'm wearing a fairly revealing top.... well... But on the whole, especially if you asked my friends, I'm fairly preppy in dressing and also in attitude. I can out complicated Starbucks order the best of them, and while I have a fairly strong social conscience, i can't quite bring myself to buy only organic cotton. If it's cute, absolutely. If it's a straw colour baggy tee..... no.
A few days ago I teased this entry asking how you all felt about sweater vests. I got one response, from my fabulous former roomie, who is almost as ardent a prepster/argyle/sweater vest lover as I. Sweater vests are almost as dear to me as argyle. Again, I currently have 3. I briefly had four. as I bought one last weekend but also bought something expensive (and put in an order for an even more expensive purse), I had to return it. I didn't love it though. I am way too excited to return to the Mtl this weekend to do shopping and maybe buy one I like even more. You know, for work. To be sure that they know exactly who they're dealing with from the first, I really want to wear an argyle sweater vest my very first day. I'm thinking bright purple.
It's really good I have some fancy sounding degrees otherwise people might never take me seriously, huh....

1 comment:

x-ine said...

Ah, Miss Argyle, I miss you and your sweater vests at old Macdonald. They put up a new sign on your old lab door, your name is gone... *sniff