Monday, November 15, 2010

I hate you Jillian Michaels

I have recently been rewatching the early seasons of one of my favourite shows : How I Met Your Mother. While my affection for it wavered last year, I feel like its really back this season and going back to the old ones reminded me of why I love it so much.

In the episode, 'The Slutty Pumpkin' the main protagonist was being tempted in two very different directions....

I kinda know how he feels these days.

As I mentioned last week, single cooking is really not so much fun. I went to the grocery store last week and picked up some good fruits and veggies, but also some already frozen meals that are OK but not as good as I could make homemade. My dinner tonight was an italian sandwich I picked up on the way home (though that delicious deli soon won't be so convenient so I figure I should take advantage while I can). I kind of hope that this will change once it gets REALLY cold (we've been having an atypically balmy November) I will not be so willing to go a little out of my way, but rather scurry straight home for a good warm, filling meal.

Yet, while my nutrition is a bit of a battle at the moment (though I am doing generally OK, just not enough homemade stuff), I am suddenly ALL over the fitness. I have been going to spin classes once a week for several weeks (at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am but then am super perky for the rest of the day AND have my evening for fun). This weekend I went to a really lovely yoga class. Today I felt delightfully sore at work, feeling the twinges in my arm but knowing its because I worked them. And this evening, while I was hanging out with my laptop I suddenly decided - I think I'm going to do the Shred. I hopped up, changed into a sports bra, closed the drapes and spent 20 minutes wanting to punch Jillian Michaels.


My hatred just seems to make me go harder at times, especially when she makes terrible self-deprecating comments. I hate this woman at times, but she does do a pretty good job of kicking your butt. Even with some modification of the cardio (I need to figure out how obvious me doing jumping jacks is to my neighbours) my legs were shaking in the shower and I know I will feel it tomorrow. And I'll kind of love it - though I really hope my masseuse doesn't cancel on me again, because I will be really looking forward to the massage I have scheduled.

I know that health is all about making good decisions but if you're not motivated, its hard to find the justification to get off the couch and away from the fast food at times. I certainly have reasons enough to make my health a higher priority. Let's see if I can keep up this whole listening to the fitness angel thing (and I'll take the hot guy above over pugface Michaels).

No comments: