Sunday, March 1, 2009

Crazy times in Mtl-Van-Mtl


Sorry for the long delay in posts. As you knew, I took off to Vancouver for 5 days last week for a conference. It was awesome, easy flights, Vancouver was BEAUTIFUL! I can't imagine not having snow to deal with, and such lovely, lovely views wherever you look. The conference was really interesting, I knew some people but also got to hear about work completely beyond my own. We also got to hit the town, drink some yummy cider and also met up with my wonderful friend Lauren, with whom I had gone to Mexico two years ago. In fabulous news, I won the poster contest for graduate students! Here I am in my fab poster (if I do say so myself), with my fab professional wardrobe.
I have to say though, I was happy to come back to school and get to wear jeans all week. Between my interview and then the conference, I was all slacks'ed out. The fact that working will require effort on the clothes front is currently the only thing that makes this transition less than completely appealing. 
(As I'm writing this post, I'm watching the Amazing Race and am laughing my ass off at people get frustrated with eachother, especially as its usually the person completely in the wrong which is most insistent that THEY ARE RIGHT DESPITE LACKING ANY REASONING BEHIND THEIR HUNCH.)
In exciting job front news, I had a good interview with someone from a part of the government very close to my current research (closer than the department for which I had previously interviewed). He knows a lot of people I know, and was impressed with my CV. He would love to hire me, but due to government restrictions against hiring without competition (ie. nepotism, which is so sad considering the number of contacts I could milk), I could only start on a contract or temp basis and hope for a position to open up. So it's something to be considered but I will stll be keeping my options and eyes open. 
This month is going to be BUSY, I really hope to finish up all my genetic stuff by the end of the month and then move onto.... the FINAL STRETCH. I'm also just waiting for final approval on my abstract from up north before I can submit it to a conference to go to in June. The conference looks awesome, its in South Carolina and I am so excited. (I'm also kind of happy its the same weekend as a high school anniversary/reunion thing. I feel no need to go back quite yet, maybe at 10 years.... thanks to facebook there is almost no reason to go to these things anymore). 
(Amazing Race update, when you're crying because you're stubborn and being mean to your sister, I have no sympathy for you).
So that's about it. My life has been rather boring this week due to having to go on antibiotics, which make me feel not so great, to clear up some final skin issues, but I can tell its working so I'll put up with it. But from here on will just work as hard as possible to get my work done, yet hopefully will have slightly better health so I'll want to do more of other stuff in the off time. 
(OMG! This boy on the amazing race is incredibly stupid! I want to hit him! He's so condescending to his sister!!! Gah. Just GAH. Ha ha, they went from 1st to second last in one leg, that'll show you.)
Ta for now.
Update: THIS is hilarious.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO ANNA!!!!

Princess Crumpet said...

Well done you! I find the increase in skirt wearing opportunities more than compensates for lack of jeans in the professional world.