Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Me and libraries


Over the years, I've formed somewhat one of a symbiotic relationship with university libraries. It's where I do my best reading and writing - and sometimes even of stuff related to academia! As many know, I had a long standing, deeply committed relationship with Douglas Library at Queen's and thinking of our break up still brings up some sad memories. (See me breaking up with it on Convocation day).
I am currently in the Mac library, trying to write responses to as many articles as I can in the next hour or so, and of course have been distracted. But it's OK because I already have a number done and know that soon the atmosphere of the library is going to sweep me away into a fit of productivity.
My fellow inmate, I mean MSc student Christine posted a while ago about people having their cell phones in the gym, which I absolutely agree with as being insane. I don't even bring my cell phone to the gym as I often only go there and back in less than 2 hours and really if you need to contact me, its because of some international emergency and lets hope that my gym won't have the fishing show on that point, but rather the news so I can find out for myself. There are a number of people who make calls while at my gym, usually when I'm wanting the mat they are currently half stretching on, and restraining myself from lobbing a weight at their head. Though they're not as amusing as the little old ladies who wear their pearls to work out. That'll be me in fifty or so years.
My cell phone is my buddy, no matter how often I leave it somewhere and it must take lonely messages for me, but I find it kind of liberating to step away from it. Though, I can't completely step away as the faux bling I put on it is often getting stuck to my clothes these days....There are days that I really want a blackberry so I can always get my e-mail too but as I am enough of an e-mail junkie as it is, I don't think it would be healthy at all.
Whoops, I did just recieve a text message though! I think that I shall answer it and hopefully that my new amore Mac will soon help me seem brilliant for yet another day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha, pearls at the gym; so Westmount!