Saturday, April 4, 2009

Rainy days

Ugh, if you're a reader not from the fair north, you are probably not experiencing our current streak of DAYS and DAYS of rain. It's rather depressing but is actually likely better for getting work done in the long run.
So I am now in Ottawa, we had a very productive team meeting Thursday, Friday. I got a little concerned at one point, because everyone was very excited that I had collected a lot of samples along a geographical gradient last summer and 4 other labs wanted some of my extracts. I am NOT prepared to do all my samples, and to the scale that there will be enough for someone but luckily got my supervisors to agree to me doing a quite reasonable number and if someone else wants to extract and run analyses on other samples, they are welcome to so long as I am on the paper.
Sidenote, I've come to referring to the difficulty of getting both of my supervisors in the same place via a number of metaphors. I previously have said it's like Polkaroo, once one arrives the other has often just left, or yesterday I compared it to two magnets that you're trying to put together. It's not that they don't like each other, they are just both very busy. At the meeting yesterday there were a number of people who wanted to talk to both of them, so I would get one in one place only to see the other get pulled away across the room.... le sigh. Like herding cats. See - another metaphor! Cats with beards, glasses and proclivities for beer - I at least have something to lure them with.
Now hanging at the parental's and am soon off to go shopping with the Mumster! I love being in Ottawa. I'll be doing a lot of work while I'm here, I may do a few extra analyses if we have time, but I intend to enjoy having fewer responsibilities for a time. Everyone have a great weekend, stay dry!

No comments: