Saturday, August 8, 2009

3 weeks to go

This week was both highly productive and rather frustrating, and I would have told you about either state with great enthusiasm if you had happened to speak with me. There were days that my roommate seemed to eye me with some concern and pointedly did not comments on the number of fudgsicles I was eating (which I had bought to prevent myself from buying a bottle of wine to serve a similar comfort function). Other days, I found going for a run to be exceedingly effective at ridding myself of some anxiety. The, um, one day this week that I found productive and got great news and fairly bounced home, I think I was fun to be around. Sorry roomie!
In my grand scheme which I scheduled (I oh so love to schedule) in Google Calendar in early June, I would have submitted my thesis for pre-review yesterday. That didn't happen. I have relatively come to terms with this, its not my fault, I'm still waiting for one last batch of comments from one of my supervisors, I then have to revise and show it to my other supervisor who will then approve it to go on for pre-review. Unfortunately, the latter supervisor (having two supervisors always makes telling stories about my thesis SO much more complicated, rather like how they've made the whole process more complicated, but in a better way I think) is unavailable through the end of next week and so its unlikely pre-review will start before the 15th or 17th. Which is cutting it a little tight but I've spoken to who will do that pre-review and have been assured I will make the final University deadline. So I've been doing my best to take a few deep breaths, and find other ways to occupy my time so I'm not just sitting and stewing.
I've started packing up my samples and lab supplies, to either relocate in my own lab or find people who could use them now. I tossed a whole bunch of serial dilution samples and was impressed with myself for doing so as they represented a lot of work, but I actually don't need them anymore. The end is nigh. It's time for me to move on, and while I will be indeed quite sad to leave this town and my friends, I'm looking forward to whats coming next. Especially the whole making actual money part (so I can go on trips, not my round the world trip quite yet but the UK is looking highly attractive for next summer).
Off now to go and work through a few more comments at Starbucks, then a fun party ce soir. Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

No comments: