Monday, September 1, 2008

Back in Montreal

Greetings all! I greet you now from the humid and balmy island of Montreal. I finished up my field work on Sunday morning by scaling/climbing/crawling up sand dunes along the banks of the Great Whale river to collect that last, teasing, population. I then found out there was room on that afternoon's flight to Montreal, booked it, packed like a mad woman, and sailed back to Montreal. A note for anyone traveling to the north - Air Creebec was always a very comfortable air line, with lots of drink services and a really yummy dinner provided on the last leg of yesterday's flight, so I highly recommend it.
I thought I would go through a bit more of a culture shock back in Montreal than I have, but aside from the urge to continue greeting everyone I come across as I did in the communities, I've slid quite comfortably back into city life. I wandered around this afternoon with Caroline, enjoying Starbucks, gelato and yummy Thai food just as I had been dreaming. I've even managed to unpack most everything from the trip, will cart my samples to Mac tomorrow and slowly ease back into the lab life. I definitely didn't miss the commute, but I will grin and bear it until April. Anyways, I hope you've enjoyed my musings on life in the field, and continue to check in with me. Now the subjects will likely shift to frustration with my lab work, and various other topics of the day. For example, I can't help but be gleeful today with the news that Sarah Palin is going to be a grandmother..... but until the next time, tootles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna ( or should I say-- Charlene Darwin ) I've been following your progress with enjoyment and admiration. I hope that you'll send me a signed copy of your best selling book when published.Sorry for my recent silence-- I shall E-mail you and explain. Hope to see you on your next expedition to Ireland. Cousin Derek