Friday, February 29, 2008

Growing up

So yesterday I felt I had a very 'adult' moment that despite my banana being fully ripe, kind of squishy and with several bruises, I forced myself to eat it all so that I could get some fruit with my lunch. Not too long ago I would have pitched it, or turned it into some kind of baked good or pancake. So I do feel as though I am maturing with time.
I also had a very civilized evening last night, dinner at my friend Jess's where we had delish mac and cheese, salad with a homemade vinaigrette, garlic bread and cookies, and ate in her very grown up (coordinated! painted! with surround sound!) living room. We discussed work and watched a movie, although the maturity did drop for a bit when she called her boyfriend to swear at him for messing up the entertainment system as he had just installed a brand new Xbox.
I'm at the point in my life where other people perceive me as an adult. I know several people who are engaged, married and even a few with children. I live myself in an apartment many would call civilized purely due to the fact that we have a china cabinet within which different kinds of glasses and tea cups are lined up in a row. But I still don't consider myself an adult. This is partly due to the fact that I'm still in school, the grad school life being one that still encourages sleeping in when you can, and taking long lunches whenever possible, especially if the food is free. I am essentially financially independent, but its not with a whole lot of finances. I probably will not consider myself to be properly an adult until I have a 'real', well paying job, or even until I buy a house or something similarly scary. But that brings us to another child like moment - I still have no real idea of what I want to be when I grow up. A big point right now is ideally not having to go back to school after I finish this degree. I'm frankly getting sick of having to work in the evenings and weekends, and would like a job where I can wear cute outfits, and that will ideally give me a blackberry ;). I think I want to save the world, and one day be elected to Parliament but the details of which are still hazy. Le sigh.
So as I sit here surrounded by papers and a sleeping kitty, trying to keep the tv turned off so I have a fighting chance at productivity, I feel both buoyed by the good results I had yesterday and discouraged that I need about 300 more of those before I can graduate. But once I graduate, I have to stop hitting the snooze button on life, so maybe I shouldn't be in such a rush..... ;)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hey darling,
that reminds me - feel free to eat my banana over the weekend. I think it will be squishy and gross by the time I get back :P.