Monday, December 21, 2009

Nostalgia

From time to time I miss living in a house that was cold, dirty, in a eenie-weenie room with no overhead light. I miss having an ambulance bay across the street, with weird hobos hanging around and smoking. I miss running out of money way before the end of the month, but feeling like I couldn't ask my parents (I know, I'm spoiled) for more before the next month, and so living on toast for days on end. I didn't always sleep well, I had a minor nervous breakdown there, but that falling apart house (we called it the Slanty Shanty as you could quite easily propel yourself across the hall between our rooms due to the pronounced tilt in the floor) will always have a dear place in my heart. Because of the girls who lived in it with me.
I lived with five amazing roommates for the quite awesome upper years of my undergraduate career. There really is no dirt they don't have on me (or me on them). We say fairly awful things about each other, but generally to our faces, or terrible jokes and references to their Mom. We once all dressed up as Disney Princesses for Halloween and sing their theme songs at the top of our lungs every chance we get (like driving down the 401).
I had the joy of reuniting with those girls this weekend, in the Tdot and it lived up to all my expectations as being thoroughly hilarious. Watching one of my eeny weeny friends (not a former roomie but was a member of an allied house, no we weren't in Sororities but it's hard to explain), tell a massive guy hitting on our engaged friend to 'F off' is a highlight of my life. Though there were days I would have merrily murdered them for not doing those dishes, those girls have made the last 7 (7!) years of my life so much more fun than they would have been otherwise, and I can't wait to see what's next.
So this holiday season love and adore your family, be nice to them, bite your tongue when they say things you wholly disagree with and appreciate them. But take a moment to tell your friends how much they mean to you too.

No comments: