Monday, December 31, 2012

On 2012

So, another year has passed.

When we started approaching the New Year I was thinking about what had changed over the year and wasn't able to come up with much. I have the same job, live in the same place, with the same roommate, hang out with the same general set of friends... however, upon reflection I realized that while in general the things around me are the same, I have had some wonderful, well and not so wonderful, experiences which have helped me grow as a person, a teensy bit.

I got to spend more time in the Great White North - going past the Arctic Circle! This was shortly followed by a trip to Las Vegas where I learned how terrible I am at blackjack. I travelled a lot to the Tdot to help celebrate friends' weddings (and think I was a pretty awesome MOH for my BFF). Had some great car trips to other weddings, and such fun on the dancefloor (Gangnam Style!). I used kick boxing to deal with work stress, and oh yeah, ran (mostly) 2 5K races! While I have yet to conquer my oral exam, my French language skills have much improved. At work, I nearly ran myself ragged but took on a heavy responsibility and think I did a pretty good job of it. I tried to take more time for myself and be a good friend. And I learned a few more painful/awkward, but valuable, lessons about what I'm looking for in a a guy. But I have also created deeper relationships with some amazing people, reconnected with old friends (even in slightly embarassing ways) and have no regrets when I think of 2012.

I really have no idea what kind of post I'll be writing on December 31, 2013. I'm actually pretty likely to be in the same physical space/same job.... or not. I'm starting to think about where I want to be in 3-5 years (post the big 3-0 eek!) and maybe once I have a better handle on those goals, will be taking steps towards them. I could write this from Australia where I hope to visit my dear L. Maybe I won't be hanging out alone, but have someone with me. Who knows.

So far, I have 3 goals for 2013: run a full 5K ALL RUNNING; floss every day (or at least 5/7 days a week) and; don't expend my energy on people who don't deserve it. They're not changes that will dramatically impact my life (I think) but are part of the ongoing plan of being more of an adult and taking care of myself first.

What are your goals for 2013?