Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Minus one organ

I had my gallbladder removed today.
The saga of the gallbladder started in September, when only a few short weeks from returning south, I woke up one morning in the worst pain of my life. I almost thought I was dying. After trying to deal with extra strength tylenol and pepto bismol to deal with the nausea, I trucked myself up to the emergency room here in M-Ville. 
First of all, the last time I had seriously been in a hospital had been as a child and they treat you WAAAAY better, vs. assuming you're a responsible adults. My tears throughout the experience handily proved that really, I still needed popsicles.
Long story short, they discovered the pain was from gallstones that had escaped into my bile duct and were interfering with my digestive function. I spent the night in the ER, and then was told I could MAYBE have the stones out on Monday (I had been admitted on Wednesday). After an uncomfortable weekend in Ottawa, I returned and had them out. However, they found more stones and so determined that it would be best to have the whole gallbladder shebang out to prevent any further attacks, which I was all for. Had to wait until now, and so have spent the last few months fretting a bit about what I was eating and having days of feeling MISERABLE. I was nervous about the surgery today, but it went smoothly and now I'm looking forward to not being so neurotic about it after this. Am currently holed up in bed in M-ville, the parentals are here taking care of me and hopefully we will return to O-town tomorrow for further recuperation. It should take me about a week, and I even hope to do some of the work I completed NONE OF over the holidays. In any case, if I  get really bored they may be a lot more blogs. 
If you can eat fat today though, have some ice cream for me, that's a no no for at least a few days still :(.

1 comment:

x-ine said...

Glad to read all is well, despite the lack of ice cream. I did you one better: I ate 3 (!!) slices of Extravaganzza (yes, 2 Z's) pizza and about 4 breadsticks drenched in butter/garlic last night. I feel disgusting today...